Earth Day is coming up this weekend, so there is no better time to take recycling into your own hands. Yesterday’s post Green Tip: Make it easy to recycle your batteries was my inspiration today. We can make it easy to recycle more than batteries.
Setup recycling centers around your home, next to or nearby regular trash cans. I have 2 inside recycling stations.
- I keep a basket next to our garbage in the kitchen, since 99% of our recycling comes from food packaging. We empty the bin into our city’s recycling bin when the garbage gets emptied.
- In our office, I bought 2 small trash cans and put a recycling sign on one of them. This office recycling station is super convenient to recycle papers and junk mail.
Our bin the city picks up accepts limited types of recycling, so I have to drop-off some recycling myself. I have 3 of these more recycling stations. When they get full, I load the bin in my car and drop if off during other errands. I guess I find it ironic to waste a whole bunch of gas on the way to recycle something.
- You can read more about my plan for batteries here.
- I keep an aluminum recycling bin in the garage. There is a local steel company that will accept aluminum and actually pay a small price for it.
- I also keep a glass recycling bin in the garage. I’ve found a handful of places around town that have a glass receptacle.
The hope is to set our homes up to make it so convenient, that recycling just happens without a ton of effort. Plan to be successful!
Anyone else have any recycling tips to share? Do you have any plans for earth day this week?
Join us on Facebook, where I share even more Organizing tips, thoughts, and inspiration. I love to chat on the comments and interact with you!